Final Supplementary Rules for Public Lands in the California Desert Issued
Notice of Interim Final Supplementary Rules for Public Lands Managed by the California Desert District
SUMMARY: The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) California Desert District (CDD) Office and the five Field Offices within the CDD, are issuing interim final supplementary rules for public lands administered by the BLM. The BLM has determined these interim final supplementary rules are necessary to enhance the safety of visitors, protect public health, protect natural resources, and improve recreation experiences and opportunities.
DATES: The interim final supplementary rules are effective June 25, 2010 and remain in effect until modified or rescinded by the publication of the final supplementary rules. We invite comments until July 26, 2010. Comments postmarked or received in person after this date may not be considered in the development of the final supplementary rules.
The following rules apply on public lands administered by the BLM California Desert District unless explicitly authorized by a permit or other authorization document issued by the BLM:
1. Public nudity is prohibited at all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas.
2. It is prohibited for a person to ride in or transport another person in or on a portion of an ORV or trailer that is not designed or intended for the transportation of passengers.
3. It is prohibited to use as firewood, or have in their possession, any firewood materials containing nails, screws, or other metal hardware, including, but not limited to, wood pallets and/or construction debris.
4. Possession of glass beverage containers is prohibited in all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas.
5. It is prohibited to place into the ground any non-flexible object, such as, but not limited to, metal or wood stakes, poles, or pipes, with the exception of small tent or awning stakes, at all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas.
6. It is prohibited to camp within the areas commonly known as Competition Hill Corridor and Competition Hill located within the Dumont Dunes ORV Area, as shown in the map at the entrance kiosk.
7. It is prohibited to reserve or save a camping space for another person at all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas.
8. All persons must keep their sites free of trash and litter during the period of occupancy.
Click here to read the complete Federal Register Notice
- Hits: 4521